Since a young age, I’ve surrounded myself by sport; initially with team sports which taught me perseverance, determination, commitment, teamwork, communication, and social skills. Then in my late teens, I discovered snowboarding, skiing, and skating and competed in amateur competitions; in this, I found a new sense of joy and thrill through sport – it’s this feeling I want all my clients to find.
In my twenties I discovered climbing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu; these sports taught me how to leverage my mind, think about my body, feel its position and be aware of myself whilst physically problem-solving. This strong mindset is a real gift, one that I’d like to pass on to anyone I work with.
I like to take both a holistic and educational approach to coach beginners and improvers; it’s key that people create a healthy outlook to activity; be encouraged and be shown how to enjoy it rather than fear it. The industry has created an inaccurate inappropriate image of fitness, that implies perfection or promotes pain, intensity and sets unrealistic expectations. I like to make sure I teach the fundamental skills required to train safely and effectively to educate out bad habits picked up by media, myth, and hearsay.
For me sport, activity & leisure has always been about enjoyment; I hope to allow people to see how being strong, fit, healthy, and safe can improve their enjoyment and quality of life through fun and engaging exercise.
My focus around fitness is the mindset; from the competitive edge to challenging comfort zones and developing growth mindsets – the key to success lies in the head. Correct perception, grit, resilience, confidence, and motivation are the cornerstones of long-lasting results.
5 Things you may not know about me
- I played the daily mail cup final at Twickenham
- I have a family castle on the island of Skye in Scotland
- I spent a year coaching skiing and surfing in Sri Lanka & Val Thorens in the french alps
- My hobbies include Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, Bouldering and I enjoy learning languages or being crafty/creative
- Master’s degree in Sports Engineering – Current (incomplete)
- BTEC Foundation & Extended Diploma in Sport & Exercise Science
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Personal training
- Level 3 Diploma in Leisure Management
- Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage
- Level 3 Certificate in GP referral
- Level 2 Certificate in Fitness instruction & Group exercise
- UKSCA Fundamentals in Strength & Conditioning
- Level 2 Multisport coaching Award
- Level 2 BASI Ski & Snowboard Instructor
- Level 1 Sports leadership Award
- Kettlebell instructor
- Vipr Master Instructor
- TRX Master trainer
- Powerplate Instructor
- Functional Methods